PAGES

Wednesday 11 February 2015

LOVELY FAIRY LIGHTS DIY

Good morning readers.

See what I did with the title...Lovely fairy lights?!  Anyway!  I thought of this idea a while back but only got around to it today...I thought it would be simples pimples, but no!  

I will explain as we go along.

In the meantime, here is my lovely finished piece.  

Lights off:



Lights on:




I thought all I would need is: scissors, florists wire and a pack of 40 battery powered LED fairy lights.  




So I unravelled three arm lengths of wire and twisted the wire around itself to make it stronger.  However, it was still a bit thin and pathetic at this stage!  




Soldiering on I wrapped the wire around the lights.  FAIL!  The wire was far too weak to mould and shape properly. 

I felt a little stressed (see pic below)as I then had to unwind the wire from the lights.



I had a cuppa and a think.

I then went to plan B.  




A coat hanger might do the trick?  It did.  I unwound the coat hanger and made it as straight as i could, it doesn't matter if there are a few kinks, and bent it into a rough heart shape.




I then attached the fairy lights to one end of the coat hanger, securing it with a little of the florists wire and wrapped the lights around and around.  When I got the other end of the coat hanger I gently used the lights to secure the two ends together, as if it were string.  Surprisingly this worked!


I went around my heart once more and stopped at the bottom pointy bit.  




I left about 20cm of light cord so that the battery box could be concealed behind objects!  Here, it is hiding behind the vase.





Very happy with this little twinkly heart in the end!  I might try and make a star shaped light decoration next....


Wishing you all a very happy rest of the week.


Claire
x

1 comment:

  1. Very nice! I see you are a fellow problem solver!....I was wondering, did you ever do anything with that Jonelle Greensleeves fabric? My Mum definitely had curtains in that fabric, it's a nice reminder. Would you consider selling a fat quarter or doing some kind of swap? Perhaps for some fabric hearts in my shop? let me know. My email on my blog if you want it. Thanks, X

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for popping by. It is always lovely to hear your comments, they are read and cherished x
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...